Our Sustainable Balanced option
CareSuper’s Sustainable Balanced option is your chance to contribute to a more sustainable world – while still growing your future savings.
We understand sustainable investing is important to many of our members, and that’s why we offer a dedicated option that seeks to respond to social and environmental concerns while delivering strong long-term returns.
How? Watch the video to find out more.
At CareSuper we adopt an integrated approach to considering environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks across all our investment options, including the Sustainable Balanced option (SBO). Why? Because we believe this minimises risks, generates better long-term returns and is line with our members’ interests. For more information about ESG integration across the whole fund go to Responsible investing.
Overseas and Australian shares
We do not invest in companies that harm people:
- Tobacco manufacturers
- Armaments (sales and production)
- Child labour
We do not invest in companies that generate more than 15% of their revenue from thermal coal production.
We do not invest in companies that generate more than 10% of their revenue from:
- Intensive animal farming
- Animal testing (cosmetic and non-cosmetic products)
Overseas and Australian shares
We seek out positive investments that help improve the environment and the quality of our daily life such as:
- Climate change solutions – insulation to improve energy efficiency and development of renewable energy systems
- Pollution reduction – waste disposal and wastewater recycling
- Resource efficiency – efficient lighting, reducing consumption of natural resources, cost-saving solutions to improve water and energy efficiency.
- Healthcare – better access to health care and addressing healthcare issues
- Education – improve access to education and provide training and job opportunities
- Access to safe food and water – sustainable food systems, improved nutrition and improve water equipment and services
- Access to finance – banking services to people and communities who do not have sufficient access to mainstream financial services.
With our ongoing process of researching, analysing and monitoring investments, we ensure high ESG standards are being met. We’re not only assessing outcomes against our own benchmarks – our investment managers also choose investments that align with the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals in a meaningful way. These goals have a global reach, aiming to combat issues including poverty, inequality and environmental degradation.
Our SBO supports a number of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Goal 1 – No poverty
Goal 3 – Good health
Goal 4 – Quality education
Goal 6 – Clean water and sanitation
Goal 9 – Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Goal 11 – Sustainable cities and communities
Goal 12 – Responsible consumption
Goal 13 – Climate action
CHOOSING THE RIGHT INVESTMENT OPTION FOR YOU
It’s important to make sure the Sustainable Balanced option is right for you before investing in this option. Consider the following questions first.
- Are you looking for a way to invest in line with your personal values and make a positive impact on the world we live in through your super investments?
- Do you want your investments to have a greater focus on ESG and ethical issues, or are you comfortable that ESG considerations are broadly integrated across all options?
- The Sustainable Balanced option favours environmentally and socially friendly companies and industries, so it will behave differently to the broader market. Are you comfortable with how it may perform in changing market conditions?
- Have you read all the relevant information about the SBO in the Investment Guide, including the option’s costs, risks and potential returns? Are you happy what you’ve learned suits your investing and personal goals?
If you’re still weighing up your choice, why not ask us for help? Access to financial advice on investment choice is part of your membership. Find out more.