At a glance
Diversified mix of assets with emphasis on alternative asset classes, Australian and Overseas shares
Very long term 7–10 years
Total estimated Indirect Cost Ratio 2014/15: 0.82%
Buy spread: 0.08%
Sell spread: 0.08%
Inflation + 3.5% per year^
Likelihood of negative return
3.3 in every 20 years
Risk levelRisk label
3Low to medium
5Medium to high
- Annual % returns
- See how your money would have grown
See how your money would have grown if invested in this option:
Amount: Invested for:
Annual returns [PDF]
About the option
The Alternative Growth option aims to achieve long-term capital growth by investing in a diversified mixture of assets with emphasis on alternative asset classes as well as Australian and overseas shares. It aims to deliver a more stable pattern of returns than would be expected in the Growth option by investing a significant component of the portfolio in alternative investments.
This option is suitable for members:
- with an investment timeframe of at least seven years or someone whose financial situation allows a higher degree of risk
- seeking to invest in a portfolio invested mainly in growth assets (such as shares, property and growth alternatives)
- with a strong understanding of alternative investments and who seek to invest in these types of strategies.
What are the option’s objectives?
- To achieve returns after tax and fees that exceed the inflation rate (as measured by the CPI) by at least 3.5% per year.^
- To produce a less volatile return profile than the Growth option by investing a significant component of the portfolio in alternative investments.
^Over rolling 10 year periods