Be confident your money is being invested responsibly
At CareSuper we believe companies that act responsibly will perform better over time, so it makes sense to consider environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors as part of our investment process.
What we do
CareSuper has taken a number of steps to ensure you can be confident your money is being invested sustainably and with a long-term outlook.
- We require every investment manager we work with to consider ESG factors when choosing and holding investments. This is a key step in how we incorporate sustainability across our entire investment program.
- We have adopted a policy to exclude tobacco manufacturing companies from our investments, where possible.
- We’re a signatory to the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). These principles help us engage with our investment managers on ESG issues. We believe that putting these principles into practice, and encouraging our service providers to do the same, will lead to better long-term financial returns for our members.
We are a founding member of the Australian Council of Superannuation Investors (ACSI), an organisation that collaborates with investors on ESG issues, particularly other industry super funds like CareSuper. Through ACSI we work with other large investors to more directly influence and engage with companies on ESG issues including climate change and carbon risk. While engagement is an ongoing process, ACSI and CareSuper believe that consistent and persistent engagement with companies will continue to deliver positive outcomes over time. Together, ACSI members around Australia and the globe have around $1.5 trillion in funds under management,* representing a major collective force for change.
CareSuper also uses the proxy voting recommendations provided by ACSI. See how CareSuper has voted our Australian equities proxies.
Find out more about ACSI.
- CareSuper is a member of the 30% Club, which promotes gender diversity on the boards of ASX listed companies.
- We are a signatory to the CDP (formerly known as the Carbon Disclosure Project). CDP engages with companies around the world to report their carbon emissions. We have also endorsed the Global Investor Statement on Climate Change.
- We are a member of ESG Research Australia. This initiative encourages brokers to conduct research into the impact of ESG issues on company performance.
- CareSuper is also a member of the Responsible Investment Association Australasia (RIAA).
We offer a Sustainable Balanced option
While CareSuper is committed to sustainable investing across the Fund, the Sustainable Balanced option is offered for members who are interested in more specialised and focused attention on ESG factors. The Australian and overseas shares investments are selected by specialist managers that apply ESG screens and processes to exclude and limit certain types of investments.
Our Responsible Investing Policy
For further details, take a look at our Responsible Investing Policy and learn how CareSuper incorporates environmental, social and governance factors into the investment process.
Our approach to sustainability